Leigh we believe that all students have an entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum.
We recognise the diverse needs of our students whilst enabling them to have access to a common shared curriculum.
We ensure that the curriculum offered is appropriate to the age of our students without compromising any of the activities that are necessary and relevant to their individual needs.
Our Curriculum enables students to progress and demonstrate achievement. Continuity and progression within our planning (both hierarchical and lateral) enables us to meet the students’ wide range of abilities and varied rates of learning. We promote an environment of spiritual, moral, social and cultural development that provides equality of access for all. We intend that all pupils will enjoy success, be empowered to understand and change their
Communication is at the centre of our curriculum and impacts on all teaching and learning. Our planning is underpinned by Personal, Social and Health Education and addresses the Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development of our students.
addition we believe that:
- The curriculum is taught within a positive atmosphere and ethos that promotes enthusiasm, motivation, confidence and enjoyment for all staff and students.
- Parent partnership, joint liaison and agreement between
homeand school are essential to the development of our students.
- Staff are our most valuable resource and share the responsibility for supporting all areas of the curriculum. They work together as a team and receive continuous development
- The curriculum should incorporate opportunities for
pupilto develop autonomy, responsibility and advocacy.
- The curriculum must be supported by a well-equipped environment offering good facilities and suitable resources.
- Much of the curriculum needs to be taught in ‘real life’ settings. Strong links are established with other schools, colleges and the local community.
- The curriculum content and our approaches to teaching and learning should provide equality of opportunity.